This property has now been taken off the market (as of 26 June 2021).
Room in a Shared House, Bells Court, CB3
Located 150 metres from Magdalene College Porters Lodge on Castle Hill opposite the Castle Mound. Modernised in 2006 with:
- gas fired central heating
- limestone ground floor on "The Bridge" (the ground floor room)
- fitted kitchen
• The limestone floor in the kitchen was replaced with a porcelain floor (for easier cleaning)
• The old combination boiler was replaced with new Worcester combination boiler
• The kitchen and the Captain's Cabin were redecorated
• A fridge freezer was added to the existing fridge in the kitchen in July 2017
• In July 2018 a new hand basin was installed in the bathroom with slightly improved plumbing.
• The Compass Platform was redecorated in September 2019
• Shutters were installed in the Captain's Cabin in March 2020.
• A new oven was added in May 2020
• New chairs for the desks in the Ready Room and Captain's Cabin were added in June 2020, and two more of the same bodacious chairs for the desks on the Bridge and the Compass Platform in November 2020.
• From 13-May 2021 to 20-May-21 the bathroom was improved by new tiling around the hand basin and toilet.
Next task is routine maintenance work to improve two of the window frames probably to be done by 31-Aug-21.
Please Note This Is A Room In A Shared Accommodation.
The property is shared with two or three other tenants (one University of Cambridge postgraduate gentleman student of Neanderthal archeology and one twenty something professional software engineer and part time Anglia Ruskin student) and the landlord in the kitchen, bathroom or back yard from time to time. Rent is paid five months in advance (though there is no deposit) with the first five months due to complete the contract and then recurring payments monthly thereafter commencing from the middle of month one with no payments, therefore, at the back end of the term of the contract. For payment 10-12 months in advance there will be a 4% discount to the rent.
Owing to the elegant sufficiency of space in the house and in particular the presence of just one bathroom, in other words for the benefit of the other inhabitants, the room is not offered to couples (though guests, within reason, are by no means restricted).
- The Captain's Cabin (available from 01-July-2021 for GBP 510) 2.1 x 3.2 metres (6.7 square metres) has a pine floor with Persian carpets. A 2.2 x 0.92 m Japanese style (it means low) bed (15% longer than a single and 2% wider). The room benefits from a built in L shaped desk, wardrobe, port hole window, dormer window over-looking the roof of King’s College (albeit at a distance) central heating and air conditioning. Arguably the room is less suited to those of great height or those who might find spiral staircases difficult. For payment 10-12 months in advance a 4% discount would be offered.
- The Compass Platform (which is on the first floor and relatively secluded within the house and at the rear) and which is 2.6 x 4.0 (10.4 square metres) costs 630 GBP, has a pine floor and is available from 03-Sep-19. The room benefits from a desk, built in wardrobe, modest shevling and a larger than double bed. For payment 6-9 months in advance a 2% discount would be offered and for payment 10-12 months in advance a 4% discount would be offered.
- No smokers
- No pets
- Students accepted
- Ten months minimum tenancy
- Rent is payable five months in advance
- No deposit
The rent includes all the bills. Were these amortised between a putative four inhabitants and charged separately they would amount to £36 per month (council tax), £12 per month (electricity), £19 per month (gas), £12 per month (internet), £10 per month (water and sewage) so for comparison with equivalent properties where all bills are not included you could allow for £89 per month saved.
Price & Bills
|Broadband||Prices & Availability|
|DSS/LHA Covers Rent|
|Minimum Tenancy||10 Months|
|EPC Not Required||Shared Accommodation|